Kilimanjaro bass comes from the strong collaboration between Richard Bona and Marco De Virgiliis who, with this amazing instrument as well, have respected the main principle they share: they don’t accept compromises!
Richard is one the most appreciated and respected musicians worldwide and since the very beginning on this project he said he would have never put his name (and his fingers as well) on an instrument not delivering the highest quality standard, so Marco and his team used all their experience to create an instrument satisfying the highest lute manufacturing standards and all his business knowledge to offer such a great instrument at very competitive price.
It hasn’t been easy designing such a pleasant shaped instrument, really ergonomic and balanced even though it’s quite far from a standard design any bass player is familiar with. On the Kilimanjaro bass we wanted an original design that we improved together with Richard until we came to the final result satisfying 100% Richard, Marco and any bass player who had the chance to try the very first samples we made.
Starting from the body shape with the smoothed back for those playing while seated holding bass in a classical style position (a pretty trendy fashion between bass players), then the lower cutaway designed to offer maximum access until the last fret, the ultra refinished and comfortable neck letting super low action settings, the innovative headstock designed step by step with Richard where we used a single neck/headstock wood block with a 7° angle not needing any strings retainer on it.
BODY: we’ve chosen a two pieces swamp ash body with a selected AAAA solid flame maple top and a binding line between the body and top to enhance its beauty, using the same maple and binding on the matching headstock. The control cavity cover is made with swamp ash as well.
NECK: canadian maple with quarter cut and two graphite bars for maximun stability and dual action truss rod adjus
- Headstock Shape: Ninja Rb Bass Headstock Design
- Headstock Angle: 7 Degree Headstock Angle
- Top: 2mm Solid Flame Maple Top
- Binding/black Line: 0.5mm Black Shim Line
- Tuner: Hipshot Usa - 1/2” Ultralite Black
- Truss Rod Cover: Flame Maple, Recessed Design
- Logo: N Ninja + Kilimanjaro (Front) + Markbass (Rear)
- Wood: 1pc Quarter Sawn Maple
- Profile: Comfy Thin D Shape
- Thickness: 20~22mm
- Truss Rod: Dual Action Headstock Side + Graphite Bars
- Wood: Flame Maple
- Width (Nut/24 Fret): 40~67mm
- Frets / Frets N°: 2.4mm / 24 Frets
- Scale / Radius: 34" / 16"
- Nut: Graphtech Black Tusq
- Binding: None
- Inlays / Dots: None (Fingerboard) / Black Dots (Side)
- Shape: Ninja Rb Bass Design
- Top: 4a Grade 5mm Solid Flame Maple
- Wood: 2 Pcs Lightweight Swamp Ash
- Thickness: 38mm
- Binding: 0.5mm Black Shim Line
- Bridge: Hipshot Kickass 4 Strings Black
- Joint / Plate: Bolt-on (5 Black Screws) / None
- Pickguard / Back Plate: None / Swamp Ash Cover
- End-pin: Standard Black
- Jack / Jack Plate: Side / Cylinder 1/4 Stereo Jack
- Eq Controls: Markbass V/v/t(Active/passive) + 3 Band Eq
- Knobs: Black Metal Dome (2 Big + 4 Small)
- Pickups: Bartolini Mk4cbc
- Headstock: Natural
- Neck: Natural Satin
- Body Top: Natural
- Body Back: Natural
- Strings: Markbass Strings 40/100 Nickel
- Ramp: Ebony Ramp (Optional)
- Gig Bag: Markbass Custom De Luxe